Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

New York Vintage - I Die

Professionelle has a new address!  Please visit www.professionelleblog.com for this post and much more!

Today I dragged Nikki to New York Vintage to try on some dresses for an upcoming black tie wedding.  In the words of Rachel Zoe - I die.  And I don't use that term loosely because as much as I love Rachel Zoe, I find her signature phrases annoying and grammatically incorrect.  But after an unexpected tour of New York Vintage's rental-only archives, there are no better words to describe the experience.  I hadn't made an appointment thinking that I could find something amongst their "for sale" racks, but when I arrived, the friendly sales clerk informed me that the real goods are for rent only and viewable by appointment. After trying on a sleek red one shoulder Ungaro and some beautiful 1930's print dresses (unfortunately, none fit) the sales clerk kindly offered to take us on a tour of the rental-only archives even though we didn't have an appointment.  When we walked upstairs, our jaws dropped.  What was even more shocking is that the rental prices seemed very reasonable.  There is a $200 minimum, and prices are determined based on a percentage of the retail price of the dress in conjunction with what type of event you will be wearing the dress to (so for example, the price would be different if you were wearing the dress to a private event verses a red carpet event or an editorial shoot).  I have an appointment to try on dresses in the rental-only archives in a couple of weeks so I'll report back on what a Professionelle would need to pay for a gorgeous piece of vintage glamour.  The example we were given was definitely more than what you'd pay on a site such as Rent the Runway, but well worth it for a one of a kind creation.   

As if I haven't been gushing enough, Michelle Obama wore a Norman Norell dress from New York Vintage, so you know it's cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment