Pages

Friday, March 18, 2011

Mission Accomplished

Professionelle has a new address!  Please visit www.professionelleblog.com for this post and much more!
 
I don't know what it is about Apple products that makes them so darn addictive, but that addiction has spread around the world like wildfire.  Case and point: my mother called me last week to ask me to bring her an iPad 2 which was apparently selling for RMB $20,000 on the black market.  That's nearly US $3000!  So, I did what any good Chinese daughter would do, I called every single Apple store in New York, every single day to see if they had any in stock.  At one point, I encountered a clerk who answered with phone with, "Thanks for calling the W. 14th Street Apple Store where we are all sold out of the iPad 2."  I'm not sure how this was any more efficient because even after this greeting I (and I'm sure everyone else) repeated, "So...that means you don't have the iPad 2?"  He reiterated that indeed, they were all sold out, but informed me that I could come in early in the morning and wait in line when their morning stock arrived.  Frustrated, I asked a friend how he had managed to get his iPad 2 so quickly.  "Easy," he said, "I simply waited in line for 5 hours...rather...I paid someone else to wait in line for 5 hours...."  And this is how I discovered Agent Anything.  Through Agent Anything, I posted a "mission" for someone to wait in line at the Apple store at 6am in exchange for $30.  Yup, you heard right, a mere $30.  "Agents" aka college students (you must have a valid .edu email address to be an agent to make it easier for the website to keep its agents accountable) can "accept" your mission.  Within 10 minutes, a CUNY student accepted my iPad 2 mission.  I was provided with his email address and phone number.  The next morning, he went to the Apple store at 6am to wait in line for my mother's iPad 2.  Unfortunately, the store received very little stock so I was not able to actually get an iPad 2, but the overall Agent Anything experience was quite good.  Clients can propose any kind of mission they want (within the bounds of legality I presume).  I've seen people post missions to return a medical device to a hospital, paint their living room or help them set up an e-commerce site.  Agent Anything has even partnered with Ben and Jerry's ice cream.  The client pays for the price of the ice cream and the website pays $10 to the agent who delivers it.  That sounds like a win win for everyone.  So, check out Agent Anything the next time you need...well...anything I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment